Skate UK Learn to Skate Basic Skills Courses
All lessons are 30 minutes duration.
All our beginner lessons are £5 each, including skate hire, and will be booked in groups of no more than 10 persons per coach.
Record of Achievement booklets are required to sign off individual progress, these are available to purchase from Skate Hire for £1.90.
Certificates and badges for levels passed are available to purchase from Skate Hire for £2.00 per certificate, and £3.75 per badge.
For any further information ask at Skate Hire, visit our booking site, or call 01472 476029 during timetabled hours.
SKATE UK – SKATE TOTS (Under 5’s)
Skate Tots is a programme focused on skaters under 5 years of age. These structured lessons are 30 minutes long and will help get your child ready to be introduced to the regular Skate UK Programme.
A Parent/Guardian will be required to accompany the skater (free of charge) on the ice either in skates (only if confident) or suitable footwear with a rubber sole and good grip. Canvas shoes, pumps, UGG style boots and heels are not allowed.
- Sit and stand (off ice)
- Walk forwards 10 steps in skates (off ice)
- March on spot (on ice)
- Little Man on spot (on ice)
- March forwards 10 steps on ice
- Sit and stand on ice with help
- March around on spot both directions
- March forwards 10 steps and two foot glide
- March forwards and Little Man
- March backwards 5 steps
- Sit and stand on ice independently
- March forwards and head, shoulders knees and toes while gliding
- March forwards full width
- March forwards half way, half turn (marching), march backwards to the end
- March forwards 10 steps and 3 forward lemons
- 2 foot jump standing still (from Little Man position)
SKATE UK – BASIC SKILLS PROGRAMME
The Skate UK is a course of basic skills; these are the fundamentals of the sport. Once a skater has completed this course then they have the basic knowledge of the sport. This course is tested under a progressive and continuous testing structure.
- Sit down and stand up
- March forwards across the ice
- Forward two foot glide
- Skate and Dip (Little Man)
- Turn around on the spot
- Backwards Marching across the ice
- Forward Swizzles (Lemons)
- Forward two foot glide on a curve (left and right)
- Two foot turn on the spot (forwards to backwards, back to forwards)
- Snow plough or T-Stop
- Forward stroking (showing correct use of blade)
- Moving two foot turn (forwards to backwards, back to forwards)
- Backwards Swizzles (Lemons)
- Back two foot glide
- Forward one foot glide (left and right)
- Forward outside edges on a circle (left and right)
- Forward inside edges on a circle (left and right)
- Basic forward Slalom (basic outside / inside edges)
- Backwards Stroking
- Forward continuous Chasses around a circle (left and right)
- Backward outside edges on a circle (left and right)
- Backward inside edges on a circle (left and right)
- Backward continuous chasses around a circle (clockwise and counter-clockwise)
- Forward crossovers (clockwise and anti-clockwise)
- Forward outside three turns (left and right) from standstill
- Forward inside three turn (left and right) from standstill
- Backward outside edges step to forward outside edge on a circle
- Backward crossovers (clockwise and anti-clockwise)
- Backward two foot Slalom
- Two foot spin (min 2 revs)
- Forward inside open Mowhawk (left and right)
- Backward crossovers to landing position glide
- Continuous forward outside edges along a straight line (as per Level 1 – Field Moves)
- Continuous forward inside edges along a straight line (as per Level 1 – Field Moves)
- Basic forward Cross rolls
- Continuously outside three turns around a circle (3 in a row); left and right
- Continuous inside three turns around a circle (3 in a row); left and right
- Step sequence: Three turns, Mowhawk, Cross rolls, Twizzles, Toe steps etc.
- Forward inside single Twizzle (left and right) (Hockey skaters forward Drag; left and right)
- One foot spin (min 2 revs) (Hockey skaters 2 foot spin; min 4 revs)